Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Waiting on Wednesday

I've been doing my 'Books to Adore' posts (and forgetting to say that Story Siren does Books to Pine For) but I'm going to take a break and join in on WoW and feature a book or two a week...

Might still do Books to Adore, too :)

Waiting on Wednesday 1:













Obama might be a Sox fan, but like Jennifer E Smith, I'm going to have to go for the Cubs every chance I get :) And now she's got a new book coming out (after last year's The Comeback Season about the Cubs). Not only do I love Chicago authors (I miss my city ): and so long as MySpace doesn't lie-at least about this-she's from 20 mins from where I lived) but I also kind of adore books with purdy cards on the cover...

Emma Healy has never fit in with the rest of her family. She's grown used to being the only ordinary one among her rather extraordinary parents and siblings. But when she finds a birth certificate for a twin brother she never knew she had, along with a death certificate dated just two days later, she feels like a part of her has been justified in never feeling quite whole. Suddenly it seems important to visit his grave, to set off in search of her missing half. When her next-door neighbor Peter Finnegan -- who has a quiet affinity for maps and a desperate wish to escape their small town -- ends up coming along for the ride, Emma thinks they can't possibly have anything in common. But as they head from upstate New York toward North Carolina, driving a beat-up and technically stolen car and picking up a stray dog along the way, they find themselves learning more and more about each other. Neither is exactly sure what they're looking for, but with each passing mile, each new day of this journey, they seem to be getting much closer to finding it.

Small towns, stray dogs, road trips, twin brothers you never knew about? And New York? The city I fell in love with even if it's not mine? How could I not love this one?

I'll have to hope I magically (or otherwise) receive a copy!

(Out May 19)


(N.B. and if posts slow down it's because my computer battery doesn't work so I can only use my laptop exactly where and when it can be plugged in--which is not as often as one would think)

1 comment:

Book Trailer Friday [@RandomHouse @TransworldBooks]

Beth Dorey-Stein's From the Corner of the Oval  - a tale of being the White House stenographer during the Obama administration will be ...