Saturday, February 4, 2012

Cinema Saturday [What's Your Number?]

What's Your Number
20th Century Fox
January 10, 2012
R (for sexual content & language); 106 minutes
IMDb/Amazon


After an article - along with her younger sister's upcoming marriage and her mother's remarks - lead a young woman to believe she's going to be alone forever, she looks back at the past 20 men she's slept with, hoping one of them can give her happily-ever-after. This time.


Things didn't work out for Ally Darling (Anna Faris) the first time with the different guy's she's slept with - some were longer term relationships, some were only sex. After an article says women who've slept with twenty or more men can't find lasting love, she's determined to not add to her 'number.'

With the help of her friend across the hall, Colin (Chris Evans) they try to track down each of the guys so that Ally can try to have her one more shot.

As we meet the different guys, see how Ally knew them the first time, and see her try again we get a little bit more of a glimpse into who she is (maybe not as much as I would have liked) and she gets a little more desperate.

The whole time there is another story building in the back between Colin and Ally . . . but will it actually go anywhere?

What's Your Number is funny - and kind of raunchy  funny at times. I will admit that I would have liked Ally to be a little bit more self aware, but then, the whole plot might not have worked out if she was (she might not have done everything she did).

The set-up - getting to the article '20 guys' thing did take a little while - but it was good once it got introduced.

I was a little iffy about the entire premise of a movie (well book first) casting judgement on women based on how many women they've slept with - and this one particular girl being so defined by it but I like how it all resolved itself.

I haven't finished the book so I can't compare them - I will link back to this once I review it.

Overall this is a cute and funny movie, not fantastic or amazing but worth checking out!



Something I do need to make note of though is the set design. I absolutely loved that. The design of Ally's apartment was just amazing - from the furniture to the little knick-knack things. I especially loved her gorgeous sofa and the turquoise stove and yellow colander in the kitchen. (Yes, this is random stuff to notice but the fact that I noticed it says something and deserves mentioning.)

The outdoor sets - which may be more production design? - were also just fabulous, too. According to IMDb, Set Design was Denise Pizzini and Production Design was Jon Billington. (If I'm wrong on who was responsible - either by the job or who had it, let me know.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Trailer Friday [@RandomHouse @TransworldBooks]

Beth Dorey-Stein's From the Corner of the Oval  - a tale of being the White House stenographer during the Obama administration will be ...