Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Waiting On Wednesday [Forget Me Not - Carolee Dean]

First some background . . . then the book choice for this week :)

Last week I saw this post on author Sarah Darer Littman's (author of Purge and Want to Go Private - a Contemps book - among others) blog Type a Little Faster about a New York Times' article.

The article talks - and Sarah's post - talk about how teens are sharing their passwords with their significant others as a sign of trust. Right away, this seems like a bad idea to me but I read the article quotes Sarah included as well as her reaction (Young, in Love and sharing Everything, including a Password is the article, if you're interested) to them.

And I felt even more that it was a bad idea . . .

Ms Littman did a great job of explaining it here (from her post):
Reading each other's emails and texts isn't intimacy. It's spying. It does not, actually imply that you trust each other. It reveals the exact opposite about your relationship.

I hoped, even more, after reading the comments on the NYT article that there aren't more teens than I know about how feel this way. One comment in particular remarked something like, "So what, she gets teased at school because of something he read in her email?"

A) Getting 'teased' at school should not be put out there as something that's an 'oh well' sounding thing. Something that's not so bad. True, there are degrees of it but it can also be truly, truly horrible - especially when the someone starting things knows private things.

B) When things are digital, they don't go away. Emails, Facebook whatevers, other digital things can be forwarded to random people (or everyone), they can be printed, posted elsewhere, they can show up later in life, they can be manipulated/photoshopped, there are a million possibilities.

(There were people did understand the potential problems posed by the situation, I wanted to comment on the one.)



You're probably wondering right about now if I mislabeled this post, right?  I did not.
(always linked on my "Schedule' page as I usually forget to link it here & say it is hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine)

The day after I saw this post, I found that the cover for Carolee Dean's upcoming book Forget Me Not had been revealed!! I LOVED her first book, Take Me There so I was already excited for whatever her next book was - even more so after reading the summary so soon after reading the post linked above :)

My Waiting On Wednesday post this week is Forget Me Not by Carolee Dean




Ally is devastated when a scandalous photo of her is texted around school. With her reputation in shambles and her life essentially over, she hides out in a back hallway, trying to figure out where everything went wrong.

Elijah has spent time in that hallway too. He landed there after taking a whole bottle of sleeping pills. Now he can see ghosts, and he knows what Ally has yet to suspect—that she's already half dead, and one choice away from never coming back.

Elijah has loved Ally for years and would do anything to save her from her in-between place. But if she’s going to live, Ally must face her inner demons, and find the will to save herself.


My 'why' for being so, so excited to read this book is because of how much I truly enjoyed Take Me There - it was a fantastic book. I love books told from the male perspective (when done well - and this was beyond well). It also had characters who weren't all sugar and spice and everything nice who also didn't seem anywhere near fake or like the author, Dean, was trying to make them a certain way. They just were.

And the article linked above - not to say any of that is involved in the book, but after seeing some people's reactions and how other people think on the subject, I'm even more eager to see how the book plays out!!


Forget Me Not is out in October - from Simon Pulse. Goodreads page (can't find an Amazon page yet)


Link me to your Waiting On Wednesday posts? 

3 comments:

  1. This one is new to me, but I know the author! Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! This sounds great.

    My WOW
    Safari Poet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that cover! I haven't heard of this one before, but it sounds really great! Nice pick :)

    Here's my WoW!

    ReplyDelete

Book Trailer Friday [@RandomHouse @TransworldBooks]

Beth Dorey-Stein's From the Corner of the Oval  - a tale of being the White House stenographer during the Obama administration will be ...