Monday, November 12, 2012

A Killer First Date ~ Alyxandra Harvey mini review

A Killer First Date (Drake Chronicles #3.5)
Walker Childrens
February 14, 2012
40 pages
add to Goodreads/buy from Amazon/or B&N (where it's a LendMe ebook)

**spoilers through Out for Blood, book three**

Nicholas and Lucy have known each other for most of their lives, but now that they've finally admitted their feelings for each other, Nicholas wants to take her on their official first date-away from all the life-and-death drama that has surrounded them lately. Is it too much to ask for just a fun double date at the local carnival with his older brother, Quinn, and Quinn's new girlfriend, Hunter?

'A Killer First Date' is an e-novella in the Drake Chronicles series by Alyxandra Harvey. Though published between books four and five - Bleeding Hearts and Blood Moon it takes place prior to Bleeding Hearts.

Telling the tale of both Lucy and Nicholas as well as Quinn and Hunter's first dates - which take place together, 'A Killer First Date' is an enjoyable interlude that stays true to the rest of the series. It doesn't really need to be read in between books three and four, it just fits best there plot wise.

To avoid character spoilers, it shouldn't be read earlier - but then, reading this review or the synopsis of the story would already tell you the characters are dating. I read it after Blood Moon and after that book's more heavy story line and its ending, the lighter short story, the interaction of the characters and the bit of fun was incredibly refreshing. Almost like a flashback.

When short stories are done well, as this one very much is, I love to read them as it shows just how well the author know their characters and gives me yet another peek into the lives of the characters I've grown to love.

From Hearts at Stake (aka My Love Lies Bleeding) the first book, I've been in love with the Drake Chronicles series and I'm happy to say that the short stories are just as fantastic. (Lost Girls was in the back of some editions of Blood Moon and it was brilliant as well.)

Rating: 4/5


2 comments:

  1. I adored A Killer First Date. I'm so in love with the Drakes! I am absolutely dying for the newest book to come out. Great review!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am new to this series and hopping over to check out more. It is funny, as I was looking for something earlier I came across Bleeding Hearts and made a note to come back and check out the series and now I find this review LOL, guess I should check it out huh! Thank you for sharing with us I am looking forward to the journey.

    ReplyDelete

Book Trailer Friday [@RandomHouse @TransworldBooks]

Beth Dorey-Stein's From the Corner of the Oval  - a tale of being the White House stenographer during the Obama administration will be ...