Thursday, July 24, 2014

Lies My Girlfriend Told Me ~ Julie Anne Peters (earc) review [@lbkids @julieannepeters]

Lies My Girlfriend Told Me
Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
June 10, 2014
256 pages
add to Goodreads/buy from Book Depo/or Amazon

When Alix's charismatic girlfriend, Swanee, dies from sudden cardiac arrest, Alix is overcome with despair. As she searches Swanee's room for mementos of their relationship, she finds Swanee's cell phone, pinging with dozens of texts sent from a mysterious contact, L.T. The most recent text reads: "Please tell me what I did. Please, Swan. Te amo. I love you."

Shocked and betrayed, Alix learns that Swanee has been leading a double life--secretly dating a girl named Liana the entire time she's been with Alix. Alix texts Liana from Swanee's phone, pretending to be Swanee in order to gather information before finally meeting face-to-face to break the news.

Brought together by Swanee's lies, Alix and Liana become closer than they'd thought possible. But Alix is still hiding the truth from Liana. Alix knows what it feels like to be lied to--but will coming clean to Liana mean losing her, too?

Lies My Girlfriend Told Me was not what I was expecting. Granted, I did only read half of the summary and I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was different. In the best possible way.

Alis is awoken with the news that her girlfriend Swanee has suddenly died. The news devastates Alix. Though she and Swanee have only been together a short time, she can't imagine going on without her. It's when Alix is looking around Swanee's room that she finds Swanee's phone and reads a text thta threatens to cast a new light on their relationship.

Some pretty major things happen to Alix in quick succession in the beginning of this novel and I found her reactions realistic and believable. Things happened very naturally.

Though Swanee has died suddenly, her character is not made into a saint or given a free pass on things done while she was alive. Her character, her personality, the actions she took and how they affected others are a fantastic part of the story. With much farther reaching consequences than is at first apparent.

There is a progression in Alix's character that is gradual, plausible and very enjoyable.

Neither she nor Liana are in any sort of a 'usual' situation. Despite the uniqueness of it all, it feels that none of it could have happened any differently. Despite any heartache that may have been prevented.

Lies My Girlfriend Told Me is one about which I don't want to give too much away. I loved the relationships - of all different types - in it, the characters and how they grew. At the book's conclusion there were some things left unresolved, but they were the things that would still be unanswered in life. We dont' get to be omnipotent just because this is fiction. It's that slightly messy end that makes it feel even more real.

I loved Julie Anne Peters' By the Time You'll Read This, I'll Be Dead and now I love Lies, as well. It is definitely a recommended read.




thank you to the publisher for my copy - through NetGalley - to review


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Trailer Friday [@RandomHouse @TransworldBooks]

Beth Dorey-Stein's From the Corner of the Oval  - a tale of being the White House stenographer during the Obama administration will be ...