Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Waiting On Wednesday [@APitcherAuthor @LBKids]

Waiting On Wednesday is hosted by Breaking the Spine

My pick for this week:



SILENCE IS GOLDFISH by Annabel Pitcher

My name is Tess Turner--at least, that's what I've always been told.
I have a voice but it isn't mine. It used to say things so I'd fit in, to please my parents, to please my teachers. It used to tell the universe I was something I wasn't. It lied.
It never occurred to me that everyone else was lying too.

Fifteen-year-old Tess doesn't mean to become mute. When she discovers that her dad isn't her biological father, at first she's just too shocked to speak. But quickly she begins to see the benefit of silence. She can protect herself from the questions she's too afraid to ask. It frustrates the heck out of her parents. And it also gets the attention of her handsome Math teacher, Mr Holdsworth...
Tess sets out to discover the identity of her real father. But when trouble strikes and everything spirals out of control, how can she ask for help when she's forgotten how to use her voice?



published May 17th by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

add to your Goodreads shelf // pre-order from Book Depo // or Amazon


Why?

First, we can agree that Annabel Pitcher has the best book titles, yes? Ketchup Clouds and My Sister Lives on the Mantelpiece, and now Silence is Goldfish? (I know, I know, they changed Ketchup Clouds to Yours Truly but I'm sticking with Ketchup Clouds.

Besides that, though, I have really loved her novels. They're about things we don't often see - a girl who's writing to a death row prisoner, a boy who's sister, in a way, does live on the mantelpiece. The who, the how, the what and why of both of her previous novels has really surprised me and they are books I love.

In particular, this line of the book description, "She can protect herself from the questions she's too afraid to ask. " really caught my attention. Along with the last line, the promise that something or somethings go wrong and Tess has to find her voice again, if she can, have me really eager to read Silence is Goldfish.



That's my pick for this week, what's yours? Tell me in the comments and/or link me to your own post!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Trailer Friday [@RandomHouse @TransworldBooks]

Beth Dorey-Stein's From the Corner of the Oval  - a tale of being the White House stenographer during the Obama administration will be ...